Thursday, September 17

Superlambanana-rama


When I first saw the 17-foot original Superlambanana, I thought it was a total eyesore and couldn't think of any reasonable excuse for its hideous design. However, after my first - and possibly unfair - judgement it seems that the statue has actually proven quite successful in raising awareness within Liverpool. Although its usual colour is yellow, the Superlambanana has occasionally been repainted in order to sponsor certain causes - for example purple during the Smoke-free Liverpool campaign, and pink in support for a breast cancer awareness charity.

After my initial hatred for the Superlambanana, I couldn't help but join the thousands of people in 2008 scouring Liverpool for one of the 125 replicas created during the European Capital of Culture. I still can't say I like the design of the statue, but I'll tolerate it due to the impression it has had on Liverpool, and the causes that it has successfully sponsored.

The original Superlambanana remains in Liverpool, some of the replicas have been auctioned off, and others can be seen in Museums countrywide.

No comments:

Post a Comment